I read an article this week called “Five Pegboard Alternatives That Make Storing Your Tools a Cinch” and it made me think about my own workspace at home. In our office we have a closet that has sliding doors so a few months ago we decided to put in a workspace there. The closet has an ugly mix of vertical wood supports with pegs and wooden shelves in it, so we put that to use. Pegboards were pretty expensive and felt fairly constricted in what we could do with them. Instead, we removed all the shelves and put up two ventilated wire shelves on each side, held up by screw in brass cup hooks. Next, we put in an Ikea table and then some accessories on the wire shelves to organize our tools.
Part list and cost
- 2- 12″ x 2′ Elfa white ventilated shelves from Container Store= $9.99 each
- 4- 1-1/4″ The Hillman white brass cup hooks from Lowes = $1.24 each
- 1- Grundtal stainless steel magnetic knife rack from IKEA= $14.99
- Bygel silver S-hooks from IKEA= $0.99 per 10 pack
- Bygel plastic container cups in assorted colors from IKEA = $0.99 each
- Bygel plastic S-hooks in assorted colors from IKEA= $0.99 per 6 pack *note: I couldn’t find these on the IKEA US site anymore. Link is to the British page.*
- Linnmon White Table Top from IKEA= $5.99
- Adils adjustable table legs in silver from IKEA= $3.50 each
Total cost: ~ $57.00 + tax
Where do you work on your hobbies and projects and how do you organize it?